Monday 6 July 2015

Elderflower cordial

The other week I noticed how the trees were full of elderflowers,so time to get cracking to make cordial. I made it last year but by the time I got going the flowers were getting passed their best so this year I wanted to get on top of it. I got obsessed looking for the best place to collect from which had easy parking and in the end chose a layby about 2-3 minutes drive away which had a tree in it and with more across the road. Having parked it became obvious I wouldn't need to go across the road and within 5 minutes I had collected 50 flower heads to use in this recipe. I follow it apart from not putting in limes, mainly because I didn't have any the first time I made it. It is soooo easy to make, below are the ingredients





and here is the process, dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to the boil



and the elderflowers


 add the sliced fruit and citric acid



stir and leave covered for 24 hours ( I don't worry if it's a day longer) and then bottle in sterilised bottles


It keeps in the fridge for a couple of months (if it lasts that long) and will freeze. We like it let down with sparkling water or even better prosecco! 
The elderflowers are getting passed their best but I have made another batch over the weekend which tasted just as delicious - give it a go whilst you have chance. L Anne xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post. I look forward to reading your comments and will do my best to reply to you all. Anne