Tuesday 29 April 2014

Laptop back = dissertation finished, printed and bound!!

I've got my laptop back!! J's dissertation is finished, printed, bound and ready to hand in tomorrow - thank goodness. We weren't involved with C or B's, in fact not sure B did one, so didn't go through the stressful last days. Anyway all done and he's back at Loughborough with just his finals to do, guess it will go quick for him.
So what have I been doing in the meantime? well, when D and I were away in our caravan we talked about how we could bring some colour into it. (I do wonder about caravan designers and how they choose the furnishings because to my mind they are usually so bland) Having noticed Kate's van from Just Pootling I thought we could do something similar. Here is our 'bedroom' area before


all very pleasant, but not really any wow factor. I decided a trip to Dunelm was called for and I returned with this - I do like spots.


The headboard was easy to do, just a case of re-covering on top of the old fabric. The curtains didn't take very long either, even lining them. I still had some fabric left so a quick trip to where the van is stored to get some cushions and we now have a lovely bright bed area. What do you think?



I am so pleased with how it looks, so much brighter, and can't wait to go away in it this weekend. So thank you Kate for your inspiration.
I've also been doing a bit of baking - no surprise there, but I did remember to take some pics as I went along. We had an unexpected visitor last week which was a good excuse to make a Greek Halva cake. It's one I have often done at Easter but as we were on our own this year I didn't bother. Here it is finished


and here is how you make it

You'll need
100gr butter
100gr caster sugar
finely grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
2 beaten eggs
175gr semolina
1tsp baking powder
90gr ground hazelnuts or almonds - I actually mixed chopped nuts from Asda which are chopped finely

For the decoration
1 orange, lime and lemon
225gr caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
12 cloves

Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Stir in orange and lemon rinds, eggs, semolina, baking powder and ground nuts or chopped nuts.
Put in a lined 18cm square tin and bake in 220oC oven till just firm.

For the topping pare strips of rind from fruit, taking care not to include any white pith.


Squeeze the juice into measuring jug and make up to 300ml with water.
Place liquid with sugar and spices in a heavy based pan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Add the prepared orange and lemon rinds and cook for 3 mins, then add the lime rind and cook for 1 min.


Remove the rind and spices with a slotted spoon and arrange over the cooked cake. Pour over half syrup. Boil the remaining syrup for 2 mins till a little thicker and then spoon over the cake.
I like to serve it with creme fraiche as a pudding. It keeps quite well although generally it doesn't last long in our house.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to say goodbye as I've just looked at the clock and realised I'm due at work shortly and need to get some lunch before I go. Must just mention that I am off to see Paul Hollywood on Thursday night (my Christmas present from D) with my best friend A, can't wait! L A xx





1 comment:

  1. Brilliant makeover on the caravan.. it looks so cosy! I love pops of colour for brightening things up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post. I look forward to reading your comments and will do my best to reply to you all. Anne